Man held in 2010 slaying in Harvey, suspected in 3 others

Tribune reporter

Fingerprints on duct tape used to bind two victims of a 2010 home invasion in Harvey helped track down a man charged with killing a man in the home invasion who also is suspected in three other Harvey slayings, officials said today.

Michael Reid, 37, of Alsip, was ordered held in lieu of $2 million today, and is a suspect in three other homicides, authorities said. Reid appeared in Markham District Court this morning before Cook County Judge Darron Bownden and was ordered held in the killing June 24, 2010, of Marlon Cosby, according to officials and court records.

Cosby, 37, of  the 14800 block of  Leavitt Avenue in the south suburb, was dead on the scene in his home early that morning, authorities said.

At the time, a Harvey police spokeswoman said officials believe Cosby died in a drug-related robbery that involved four men. Reid is suspected in three other slayings, two in 2011 and one this year, said Harvey spokesman Sean Howard. Investigators were able to trace the slaying to Reid after finding latent fingerprints that matched his on duct tape used to bind two other victims in the home invasion, as well as a bag found at the crime scene, prosecutors said today.

“Investigators believe that  Reid may have also been involved in two additional homicides from 2011 and another homicide earlier this year. Charges for the other three homicides are pending at this time,” Howard said in a news release early Friday.

Cosby and two other people were at his home a little before midnight June 24, 2010, when several masked intruders forced their way into his home, said Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state’s attorney’s office. The home invaders ordered the two others to the ground, and bound their hands and mouths with duct tape, Simonton said.

After the two were bound, the two other victims heard a single gunshot, Simonton said.

The home invaders demanded to know where Cosby’s car keys were, and searched the home for about 10 minutes, before one of them said “they got it,” before they fled, prosecutors said.

The two surviving victims were able to free themselves and fled to a neighbor’s home, where they called police.

Harvey police responded to a call about a person shot about 11:57 p.m. June 24, 2010, prosecutors said. They found Cosby in his home, with a gunshot wound to the head.

Illinois State Police gathered evidence at the home the next day, including latent fingerprints on duct tape and a bag at the scene, prosecutors said. In October, State Police were able to tie a fingerprint on the duct tape to Reid, and later, tied a fingerprint on the bag to him.

On May 8, a warrant was issued for Reid’s arrest, and police arrested him in Dolton, prosecutors said.

Reid is set to return to court Aug. 22 for a preliminary hearing.

Freelance reporter Dennis Sullivan contributed

twitter: @ChicagoBreaking

Copyright © 2018, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad