Residents jumped from a burning West Side home early Saturday morning to escape a blaze that injured three people.
The fire, in the 2100 block of South Millard Avenue, started in the back porches -- there was one on each floor of the three-floor brick building -- before 4 a.m.
One man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in critical condition and a woman was taken to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County in fair-to-serious condition, according to the Chicago Fire Department. A third person declined to be taken to the hospital for treatment.
Police and neighbors said at least two people jumped from the front of the building into the arms of neighbors. One stood barefoot and shaking until a neighbor gave her his pair of socks and put a blanket around her.
Three of the neighbors identified as those helping the women who jumped declined to comment. They were not injured.
Police also ushered people out of a neighboring building when they arrived because it looked like fire was coming from a narrow gangway that separated the burning building and the one to the south.
Two adults were wheeled away to ambulances waiting in a staging area north of the fire.
It's not clear how many people were displaced.
The fire did not appear suspicious, and may have started been by en electrical power strip that both a washer and dryer were connected to at the back of the house, according to police.
Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun