Wednesday is the 242nd anniversary of the birth of a nation.
Happy birthday, America!
Across the country, people celebrate with cookouts and fireworks. Several Carroll County communities have scheduled events including the Carroll County Fourth of July Celebration at the Carroll County Farm Museum. For more information, visit www.carrollcountyfarmmuseum.org.
Now that summer is here, just how are we going to entertain the kids? The Carroll County Library System has a great program called Summer Discovery that began June 1 and runs through Aug. 25 at all branches.
After you register for the program, you can accumulate points for reading and participating in a variety of activities including reading, stargazing, and visiting museums. The official kick-off was held June 21 with a variety of things to do including painted rocks, zany zentangles, balloon masters and wonderful watercolors. Visitors enjoyed a “mini” zoo of 4-H animals that included chickens, goats, sheep and more.
Accumulating points is easy with all the events scheduled throughout the summer months.
Activities at the Taneytown branch of the Carroll County Public Library, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown include:
- ScienceTellers Present — Wild West: The Mystery of the Golden Piano, July 11 at 10 a.m.
- Aussie Funk Jam: One-of-a-kind musical and cultural experience, July 12 at 1 p.m.
- The Magic of Roger Lindsay: Magical happenings, illusions, and laughter, July 18 at 1 p.m.
- Meet the Instruments: Ages 5-10. Learn about musical instruments; then make one to take home. This event takes place Monday, July 9 at 9:45 a.m.
- The Scoop on Soil ages 4-8. This event takes place Monday, July 9, 1 p.m. According to the library website the program, “A representative of the University of Maryland Extension Office will share books that discuss what soil is made of, the creatures that help make soil healthy, and how we all depend on healthy soil for healthy food. Each participant will make a garden in a bottle to take home.”
For adults who are up to the challenge there’s ZUMBA! Class starts at 6:30 p.m. and is run by zumba instructor Tori Strosnider. All experience levels welcome.
In addition to the specific presentations mentioned above, the Taneytown library has a variety of activities for kids (and yes, some adults) all summer long. Please check out the complete listing on the calendar at library.carr.org.
Please note: Visit the library website for more information on events including age limits. Most events require preregistration.
Taneytown History Museum to host Family Toy Day
The Taneytown History Museum will host a Family Toy Day Saturday, July 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the grounds of the museum, 340 E. Baltimore St. in Taneytown.
This is a fantastic opportunity to visit the “Century of Toys 1890-1990” display as well as several outside displays including model steam engines, hobby horses, pedal cars, and a farm diorama. Try your hand at outdoor games including Jacks, Marbles, Hopscotch, and Croquet. There will be balloon animals and puppets as well as refreshments and prizes.
Gabrielle Schoeffield covers Taneytown, Union Bridge, New Windsor and neighboring communities. Reach her at email@example.com.