Today, Facebook turns 10 years old. And strangely, it's the one giving out the gifts.
If you go to facebook.com/lookback today, you'll see a video set to pleasant music highlighting your biggest moments on Facebook since you signed up. Or just wait for the notification to arrive.
Your "Look Back" may not feature your favorite photos, but they will be ones that people connected with the most. And this connection seems to be what's behind the whole idea, in that Facebook plays such a central role in how we stay connected and document our lives.
Hard to believe it's been 10 years. Let's take a quick look at a few big things Facebook has accomplished in that time:
- Went from a semi-private (Harvard only) network to a publicly-traded company
- Changed names (it was once called The Facebook)
- Added the ability to share photos (we take it for granted, but it wasn't always that way)
- Made something called "The Wall" sound cool (although, to be fair, Pink Floyd did that first)
- Made the thumbs up symbol synonomous with life (although, to be fair, The Fonz did that first)
- Made poking someone acceptable* (*Depends on who you ask)
- Purchased InstagramCopyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun