Ready or not, changes are coming soon to your Facebook Timeline.
According to chatter on social media, the party has already started in New Zealand and parts of Europe. Based on these reports, here's a sneak peek at some of what you can expect.
• Your posts will appear in a single wide column on the left side as opposed to being randomly split into two columns.
• The boxes near the top below your cover image will be replaced with a simpler, tabbed design.
• The new "collections manager" lets you drag to reorder your collections, so you can put maps and friends where you want them. You also can move things around in the right-hand column.
• In a nod to Twitter, your subscribers, the people who subscribe to your public updates, are now called followers. Subscribers/followers are different than friends, and no changes to friends are apparent at this time.
• And in another nod to Twitter, your name appears in white over the bottom of your cover photo. Basic info, including your location and job, are now located on the right side of your profile photo instead of below. So depending on the kind of image you have, the white type could prove difficult to read.
Currently, these changes are for personal profiles only; however, if the past is any indication, Facebook will eventually make the same changes on brand pages.
Facebook doesn't usually comment before a design change, and there has been no official word from the company as to when the new and updated features will appear for everyone.
Facebook rolling out Timeline changes, including redesign
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.