"Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life," Zuckerberg said.
This is a spot of good news for Facebook, which has been increasingly under scrutiny by Wall Street over how it's gonna turn all these users into profits. The company keeps talking about its potential in mobile, for one, which could be bigger than its future on the desktop Web. There are a lot of people around the world who will probably have some version of a smartphone with Facebook on it before they ever get a laptop or a desktop PC.
For more from Zuck, check out Bloomberg Businessweek's Q&A with him on the billion milestone.
Below, I copied and pasted a fact sheet that Facebook provided on its growing user base. Note another huge number: Facebook has 600 million mobile users.
One billion – key metrics
Facebook reached 1 billion monthly active users on September 14 at 12.45 PM Pacific time.
Since Facebook launched, we’ve seen:
- Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- 219 billion photos uploaded
- Data was pulled on 9/10/2012, and represents the total # of photos currently on this site – in other words, it excludes deleted photos. If we wanted to include all photos ever uploaded, the estimate we have is 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.
- Includes location-tagged posts as well as check-ins. Data was pulled 9/10/2012, and represents total location-tagged posts & check-ins since launch of the product in August 2010
- Data was pulled on 9/11/2012, and represents song plays since the launch of music-listening applications in September 2011
- 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times - that’s about 210,000 years of music
Characteristics of users joining the week Facebook hit 1B
- The median age of the user is about 22
- The top five countries where people connected from at the time we reached this milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States (NOTE: in alphabetical order)
- Facebook now has 600M mobile users