A hodge podge of companies -- grocery chain Albertsons, home furnishings e-tailer Wayfair, sportswear brand Under Armour and discount store Five Below -- made the top 10 list of fastest growing retailers, according to an annual report from Stores, a magazine of the National Retail Federation.
“The eclectic quality of the list is an upbeat indicator for retail,” said Stores Media editor Susan Reda. “While Albertson’s grew mainly by acquisition, Wayfair’s ascent is 12 years in the making as this online specialist benefits from renewed consumer interest in sprucing up their homes.
“It’s becoming a familiar story in our industry — growth stems from new products, innovative thinking and one-of-a-kind customer experiences,” Reda said.
The list, compiled by Kantar Retail, consists of retail companies with over $300 million in annual sales that reported the greatest increase in domestic sales between 2012 and 2013.
Here are the top 10, showing 2013 U.S. revenue and growth rate:
- Albertsons: $19.45 billion (+437 percent)
- Wayfair: $915 million (+52.5 percent)
- Ascena Retail Group: $4.67 billion (+49.1 percent)
- Conn’s: $904 million (+39.2 percent)
- SpartanNash: $648 million (+36.6 percent)
- Michael Kors Holdings: $1.16 billion (+36 percent)
- Under Armour: $672 million (+34.8 percent)
- Cardinal Health: $2.02 billion (+28.6 percent)
- Five Below: $535 million (+27.8 percent)
- Amazon: $43.96 billion (+27.2 percent)
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun