The IRS says it will extend the tax deadline for filing and paying taxes to July 15 for Boston area taxpayers and others affected by the bombing on Monday, the tax deadline.
This three-month extension will automatically apply to taxpayers living in Suffolk County, which includes Boston. Taxpayers outside that area and adversely affected by the explosions must call — starting April 23rd — 866-562-5227 to claim this relief.
The IRS says won’t assess penalties for being late with the filing or payments, but the agency says by law it must charge interest on late payments, which is a 3 percent annual rate that compounds daily.
- VIDEO: Boston Marathon blasts kill 3, injure over 140
- Towson preschool teacher injured in Boston Marathon explosion
- GRAPHIC PHOTOS: Boston Marathon attacks
- Photos: Remains of explosive device
- GRAPHIC footage of Boston Marathon explosions [Video]
- FBI takes lead in Boston investigation [Video]
- Blasts at the finish line of the Boston Marathon [Video]
See more videos »