By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun
6:53 PM EDT, September 13, 2011
A Baltimore City Circuit Court judge has dismissed a lawsuit by Orioles owner Peter G. Angelos that challenged the city's plans for the long-delayed Superblock project.
In the decision, signed last week but announced by the state on Tuesday, Judge John Philip Miller wrote that Angelos' 120 W. Fayette Street LLLP "failed to state a claim upon which relief can be granted."
In the lawsuit, Angelos contended that the head of the Maryland Historical Trust did not have the authority to act for the trust when he approved preliminary plans for the west side redevelopment in December. The trust's board later protested that decision.
Angelos' suit — the second he has filed about the Superblock — alleged that the city's plan to sell blighted property to be redeveloped as a mixed-use project circumvents rules and fails to preserve historic buildings.
But Miller said he was dismissing the case because Angelos' property-ownership company was suing to enforce an agreement — made between the state historical trust and the city — to which it was not a party.
M. Albert Figinski, an attorney for Angelos, said he had not seen the decision but was "disappointed" with the result.
"I will consult with my clients as to what additional efforts are appropriate," he said.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun