The creditors and the publisher of the Baltimore Jewish Times met behind closed doors Friday with a bankruptcy judge in an attempt to iron out a new ownership plan, and emerged after more than three hours with a commitment to return Monday for more negotiations.
Alter Communications Inc., the publisher of the Times and Style magazine, has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection since April 2010, after losing a legal battle with its former publisher, H.G. Roebuck & Son Inc. of White Marsh
Alter proposed a plan where outside investors would take control of 80 percent of the company, leaving the current family owners with a 20 percent stake. Roebuck, Alter's largest creditor, proposed a plan where it takes over the company and partners with Washington Jewish Week as a publisher. A third plan emerged this past week, as one of the family stakeholders of Alter proposed the formation of another investment group to take over the company.
The next hearing takes place Monday at the U.S. District Court in Baltimore at 10 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
Text BUSINESS to 70701 to get Baltimore Sun Business text alerts
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more
about the new features.
The Baltimore Sun encourages civil dialogue related to our stories; you must register and log-in to our site in order to participate. We reserve the right to remove any user and to delete comments that violate our Terms of Service
. By commenting, you agree to these terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.