Thanksgiving is a time for family and for sharing, but use caution when it comes to your family pet.
The American Veterinary Medical Association offers the following tips:
1. Table scraps are never a good idea. Pets’ digestive systems can’t handle fatty foods.
2. Keep trash containers closed and secure so pets can’t get into them.
3. Do not feed pets turkey bones. They can splinter and damage the animal’s intestines.
4. Keep animals away from dessert tables as well, since these types of food -- especially chocolate -- can be harmful to animals.
5. Don’t let your pet overindulge on the holiday. A consistent diet is best for pets.
6. In lieu of sharing the human feast, consider buying your pet a special treat or toy from a pet store.
Courtesy American Veterinary Medical Association