So Donald Trump is seriously considering a run for president in 2012 as a republican and I, for one, am strenuously encouraging him to do so. Imagine the hilarity and endless bombast that would accompany a Trump presidency: Trump firing the Senate. Trump getting in a shouting match with the United Nations. Trump putting a huge photo of his smiling face on the Washington monument. The possibilities are endless.
The Donald hasn't wasted any time getting the pomposity started.
In an ABC News interview posted last night, Trump took on President Obama, House Speaker Boehner, Somalian pirates, and, of course, somehow found some time to compliment himself.
• On himself: "The beauty of me is that I'm very rich."
• On House Speaker John Boehner: "I don't like the crying."
• On pirates hijacking American ships: "Give me an admiral and a couple of ships and [I'll] wipe them out of the sea so fast."
• On his intelligence: "Let me tell you, I'm a really smart guy."
• On Charlie Sheen: "I told the parents, don't let your daughter marry him. I think he's wonderful, but he's a disaster. Don't let your daughter marry him."
• On doubting President Obama's citizenship: "He grew up and nobody knew him. You know? When you interview people, if ever I got the nomination, if I ever decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody ever comes forward. Nobody knows who he his until later in his life. It's very strange. The whole thing is very strange."
Please Donald, for all of us who look to politics as a source of amusement, please run for president. It would make the campaign so much more fun.
The video of the ABC interview is below.
Copyright © 2014, The Baltimore Sun