The Baltimore Sun has an immediate opening for a deputy director of audience engagement. This individual will direct The Sun's social media strategy and manage the day-to-day work of three community coordinators -- newsroom staffers who spearhead our social media efforts and serve as project managers for long-term digital initiatives.
We're seeking a passionate and innovative digital journalist who's focused on growing and engaging our audience on all platforms. She or he is equally comfortable taking the lead in creating content or pitching in to augment a story package or idea in some way. This person works closely with other journalists in a 150-person newsroom during the daily news cycle, while staying abreast of trends in social media and actively embracing experimentation. She or he loves breaking news, responds to tasks with a sense of urgency and willingly collaborates with colleagues and the community.
Core job responsibilities also include:
• Oversee daily programming of The Sun's main social media accounts, including Facebook and Twitter, and responsibility for aggressively and creatively utilizing, growing and leveraging The Sun's presence on these and other social media networks.
• Work to ensure and enhance social media ties in mobile products, and develop new forms of content geared toward mobile users.
• Regularly and effectively communicate social media best practices to the newsroom, encouraging input and sharing among colleagues. Lead training when necessary.
• Coordinate with others in the newsroom to quickly respond to reader feedback and make adjustments to products if necessary.
• Lead efforts to increase and enhance user generated content, including managing moderation of The Sun's talk forums and story-level comments.
• Help oversee Audience Engagement events in the community, including Mobbies, our annual celebration of Maryland bloggers.
• Work closely with Marketing and Sales to assist their efforts to monetize digital products.
This position reports to the director of audience engagement. Interested candidates with management experience should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.