This week's standards:
* Students understand the interactions of people and their physical environment. (Social Studies: People, Places and Environments)
* Students understand the physical characteristics of places - landforms, bodies of water, soil, vegetation, weather and climate. (Geography)
1. Draw a travel poster for Arkansas. Include images that show the farmland, water sites and arts of the state.
2. Find seven different ways water is important to Arkansas.
3. Find items and pictures in the newspaper that are related to Arkansas:
(a) something to help people grow plants,
(b) something to use to travel on rivers,
(c) something that is healing,
(d) a place to find food,
(e) something made out of aluminum. Explain your choices.
4. Be a travel agent. What Arkansas sites would you recommend for:
(a) a geologist,
(b) an artist,
(c) a historian,
(d) someone who likes to fish?
5. Use resource books and the Internet to learn more about Mountain View. Use these questions to guide your research:
Why does the city call itself the "Folk Music Capital of the World"?
What businesses and museums would you find there?
What famous people have performed there?
What festivals or art events are held in the city?
(standards by Dr. Sherrye D. Garrett, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi)Copyright © 2015, The Baltimore Sun